A Web of Energy
Yurts at Poncha Pass - Colorado Yurt Rentals and Sustainable Building Workshops - Photo of Chris in ground of Earthship

Written by Chris

October 4, 2009

Systems are inherently connected and dependent on webs of all sorts. The simplest example is that of the spider web. A web is less likely to break with more anchor points to hold it up, and strengthened by the connections within the web. This well-constructed web is not only more likely to be effective in catching a tasty morsel but is more resistant to failing when disturbed. This example repeats itself throughout earths different systems ranging from food webs exhibiting predation and prey connections, to freeway networks and how traffic flows through a well-connected infrastructure. If a single highway is expanded to carry more and more traffic without alternate routes or side roads, the highway becomes a lifeline we are dependent on and as such, when it fails, the road network fails.
The Energy Connection
This same principle applies to the different energy sources we use to supply our global population. If we look at current global energy usage, 85% is currently derived from Oil, Coal, and Gas (fossil fuels) with the remaining 15% comes from ALL OTHER ENERGY OPPORTUNITIES! This makes our web of energy look like one of the sicklier spider webs with 3 big lines holding the whole thing up and little to no connections within the web. But I see society and mankind represents a brilliant spider. From Wind and Solar, to Thermal and Wave, new strings of energy are ready to be made. Even smaller threads ranging from Kite energy to Solar Thermal are emerging as both economical and beneficial threads. We must demand the movement of this engine and connect these threads to repair our web decreasing our dependency on fossil fuels while distributing our risk and impact of this energy web on this global level.

…and it starts with us!

Related Articles

A Brave New World – The arrival of AI through flow of logic

A Brave New World – The arrival of AI through flow of logic

A Brave New World was written by Aldous Huxley and discusses just how a technological future might look like for earthlings. It sits atop a list of other noted books including 1984 (George Orwell) and The Foundation Series (Isaac Asimov) which eerily predict the...

Sphere of influence – the expanding/collapsible bubble

Sphere of influence – the expanding/collapsible bubble

Those who have known me for a while have heard occasionally about efforts to bring to market ocean wave driven pumps. Since 2009, I have been involved in the development of sustainable wave energy in some form or another. I still consult on the projects from time to...

The Ecosystem Engineer

The Ecosystem Engineer

Earlier this summer I went on a camping trip with my family. We drove up from New Mexico to Silverton Colorado and took the steam train down towards Durango. A ways down the canyon on the Animas River, we got off and spent two days camping along the river. It was...

Stay Up to Date by Following Us on Instagram

Follow Us

Be the first to see what’s new, workshop announcements, and yurt life on Poncha Pass.

Yurts at Poncha Pass - Colorado Yurt Rentals and Sustainable Building Workshops - Summer 2023 flyer earthship workshop
Yurts at Poncha Pass - Colorado Yurt Rentals and Sustainable Building Workshops - Spring 2023 Workshop group eating out

COME RELAX WITH US

Come stay if you are looking for a peaceful and comfortable place to hang your hat while relaxing and adventuring around in nature. And after adventuring don’t forget to regenerate at a cellular level with our wood-burning sauna and cold plunge tub, immersed in good old fashioned nature therapy.